The Nuremberg Old Town area (Altstadt – St. Lorenz and Altstadt – St. Sebald) is home to the city’s main attractions and offers excellent options for restaurants, cafes, and hotels.
Check out a complete guide to the Nuremberg Old Town area below to make the most of your trip.
Free Walking Tour in Nuremberg
The best way to learn about the history of a place is through a guided tour.
On this free tour of Nuremberg, you’ll discover medieval buildings, squares, fountains, art, and the majestic castle. The duration of the tour is approximately 2h30m.
Top Attractions in Nuremberg Old Town
Photo Credit: Winged Jedi
- Imperial Castle of Nuremberg and City Walls – Emblematic and main attraction of the city. Burg 17, 90403 Nürnberg, Germany. Site: kaiserburg-nuernberg.de.
- Sebalduskirche – Famous Lutheran church. Winklerstraße 26, 90403 Nürnberg, Germany. Site: sebalduskirche.de.
- Schöner Brunnen – Replica of the 14th-century fountain located in the heart of the Hauptmarkt, a square that has been the commercial heart of the city since the Middle Ages. Hauptmarkt, 90403 Nürnberg, Germany.
- Frauenkirche – Gothic Catholic church also located at Hauptmarkt. Hauptmarkt 14, 90403 Nürnberg, Germany. Site: frauenkirche-nuernberg.de.
- Fleischbrücke – One of the main bridges over the Pegnitz river. 90403, Fleischbrücke, 90403 Nürnberg, Germany.
- Lorenzkirche – Restored church with Gothic architecture damaged in the Second WW. Lorenzer Pl. 1, 90403 Nürnberg, Germany. Site: lorenzkirche.de.
- Germanisches Nationalmuseum – A history museum that is home to permanent and temporary exhibitions. Kartäusergasse 1, 90402 Nürnberg, Germany. Site: www.gnm.de.
- Toy Museum – Nuremberg has been well-known for its toys for more than 600 years, and the museum has a collection of more than 80,000 items. Karlstraße 13-15, 90403 Nürnberg, Germany. Site: museums.nuernberg.de/toy-museum.
Best Hotels in Nuremberg Old Town
1. Hotel VICTORIA
The Hotel VICTORIA is a 4-star hotel located a short distance from the Lorenzkirche and just 15 minutes from Nuremberg Castle.
The rooms are comfortable and have a TV, desk, and minibar.
The hotel has a café with outdoor seating in summer.
Königstraße 80, 90402 Nürnberg, Germany
2. Hotel Elch Boutique
©Hotel Elch Boutique
The Hotel Elch Boutique is located in a charming building near the Nuremberg Christmas Market and is highly rated by many travelers.
All rooms have a TV, work desk, and minibar.
Irrerstraße 11, 90403 Nürnberg, Germany
3. Melter Hotel & Apartments
©Melter Hotel & Apartments
The Melter Hotel & Apartments has modern facilities and excellent value for money and is located right in the historic city center a few steps from the Lorenzkirche.
The rooms have a TV and a work desk. The apartments are equipped with a TV, coffee machine, and kitchenette.
Königstraße 41, 90402 Nürnberg, Germany
4. Park Plaza Nuremberg
©Park Plaza Nuremberg
Park Plaza Nuremberg is a stylish hotel located opposite the Nuremberg Central Station.
The cozy rooms have a TV and offer tea and coffee-making facilities.
The hotel has a spa, a bar, and a signature restaurant.
Bahnhofstraße 5, 90402 Nürnberg, Germany
5. Hotel Deutscher Kaiser
©Hotel Deutscher Kaiser
Hotel Deutscher Kaiser is located in a historic building and offers uniquely decorated accommodations.
Rooms are equipped with a TV, electric kettle, and minibar.
The hotel has a small library.
Königstraße 55, 90402 Nürnberg, Germany
6. Gasthaus Pillhofer
Gasthaus Pillhofer is a great budget accommodation option, highly rated by many travelers.
Rooms are decorated in a modern country style.
It has a rustic restaurant and a beer garden that serves Nuremberg specialties.
Königstraße 78, 90402 Nürnberg, Germany
7. Adina Apartment Hotel Nuremberg
©Adina Apartment Hotel Nuremberg
The Adina Apartment Hotel Nuremberg offers a choice of comfortable rooms and apartments with modern decor.
The rooms have a TV and a fully equipped kitchen.
The hotel has an indoor pool, a gym, and a rooftop terrace.
Dr.-Kurt-Schumacher-Straße 1-7, 90402 Nürnberg, Germany
8. dasPaul Restaurant & Hotel
©dasPaul Restaurant & Hotel
Hotel dasPaul offers modern facilities at great value for money. The hotel is located near the banks of the Pegnitz River in the heart of Nuremberg’s historic center.
The rooms have a TV, work desk, coffee machine, and minibar. Some rooms offer a river view.
Kaiserstraße 22, 90403 Nürnberg, Germany
9. Le Méridien Grand Hotel Nürnberg
©Le Méridien Grand Hotel Nürnberg
Located opposite the Nuremberg Central Station, Le Méridien Grand Hotel Nürnberg offers comfort and elegance.
The rooms have a TV, tea/coffee maker, and a minibar.
The hotel has a bar and a restaurant serving regional specialties and international dishes.
Bahnhofstraße 1-3, 90402 Nürnberg, Germany
10. ibis Hotel Nürnberg Altstadt
©ibis Hotel Nürnberg Altstadt
Ibis hotels are always a great option for travelers looking for affordable accommodations. The Ibis Hotel Nürnberg Altstadt is located close to Central Station and Lorenzkirche.
All rooms are equipped with a TV and a work desk.
Königstraße 74, 90402 Nürnberg, Germany
Restaurants and Cafes in Nuremberg Old Town
- “Trödelstuben”, Wein- und Bierstuben, Restaurant – German restaurant located on the banks of the river with outside seating. Trödelmarkt 30, 90403 Nürnberg, Germany. Price: $$.
- Wirtshaus Hütt’n – Cozy restaurant serving dishes from the Franconian region. Bergstraße 20, 90403 Nürnberg, Germany. Price: $$.
- Hexenhäusle – Beer garden at the steps of the Nuremberg Castle, serving local classics. Vestnertorgraben 4, 90408 Nürnberg, Germany. Price: $$.
- Bratwurst Röslein – German restaurant with a beer garden located a few steps from St. Sebald and Schöner Brunnen. Rathauspl. 6, 90403 Nürnberg, Germany. Price: $$.
- Cafe & Bar Celona Nürnberg – Charming cafe and bar with outside seating by the riverside. An der, Fleischbrücke 1-3, 90403 Nürnberg, Germany. Price: $$.
- SAUSALITOS – Famous chain with units throughout Germany serving Mexican food, snacks, drinks, and cocktails. Färberstraße 10, 90402 Nürnberg, Germany. Price: $$.
- Alte Küch’n & Im Keller – German restaurant with a medieval cellar. Albrecht-Dürer-Straße 3, 90403 Nürnberg, Germany. Price: $$.
- WonderWaffel Nürnberg – Cafe serving delicious waffles and shakes. Vordere Sterngasse 12, 90402 Nürnberg, Germany. Price: $$.
- BoboQ – Nürnberg – Buble tea store. Josephspl. 22, 90403 Nürnberg, Germany. Price: $$.
- Travolta Nürnberg – Italian restaurant serving many options of pizzas and pasta. Adlerstraße 28, 90403 Nürnberg, Germany. Price: $$.
- Tafelzier – Charming patisserie located next to the Toy Museum. Weintraubengasse 2, 90403 Nürnberg, Germany. Price: $$$.
Old Town Nuremberg Map
Featured Photo by Hari Seldon
Book Your Trip
Book Your Accommodation
Book your hotel with Booking.com as they consistently provide the cheapest and lowest rates.
Book Your Flight
Book a Train Ticket
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance
Travel insurance will protect you against illness, injury, and cancellations. It’s a protection in case anything goes wrong. You can book your travel insurance with Travelexinsurance.com.